Preparing Plumbing for Holiday Dinner Guests
As the holiday season fast approaches, homeowners may be having extra guests and larger meals. This may put extra pressure on the kitchen and bathroom plumbing. While there are plumbing issues that cannot be foreseen nor prevented, perhaps most of the disasters that arise can be prevented through cleaning and maintenance.
Toilet Clogs: Remedies and Prevention
Remedies for a clogged Toilet:
- Vinegar and baking soda
One of the best preventative measures a homeowner can take is installing a toilet that is powerful enough to meet the household's needs, plus a few more. The technology of the toilet has greatly improved since its inception, and engineers continue to find new and better ways of doing things. A pressure-assisted or dual flush toilet may be an ideal solution to any toilet clogging possibilities. These can be both eco-friendly and more efficient than older commodes.
Signs of a Clogged Sewer Line
Unfortunately, even with a newly installed toilet in the bathroom and a new garbage disposal in the kitchen, some clogs can happen further down the pipes. Even the most efficient toilet cannot prevent a sewer line clog because it may have little or nothing to do with the toilet itself.
Trees roots, waste buildup, and loosened joints in the line may result in sewer line clogs. Here are some signs that there is a potential clog in the sewer line:
- Slow Drains: If the drains all over the house seem to be flowing slowly, the problem is likely in the main drain line.
- Gurgling sounds: maybe the drain empties, but a gulping, bubbling sound tends to happen after draining or flushing. If this is the case, there may be clogging happening below.
- Backups: Dirty water seeping in the yard or coming back up the drain or the toilet is a clear sign of a drainage issue.
Snaking and hydro-jetting can solve these issues and get a home drainage system working again.
Drain Cleaning as Preventative Maintenance
As previously mentioned, drain clogs can be caused by several different kinds of build-up. Maintaining a home’s drainage system is nearly as important as maintaining home appliances.
While there are many reasons to be sure the drains are clean beyond preventing clogs, listed below are a few major ones:
- Prevents Odors: Organic garbage can be stuck in a drain and emit foul smells. Cleaning prevents this.
- Helps Pipe Longevity: Pipes are less likely to corrode if they’re clean, so they tend to last longer.
- Inhibits Microbe Growth: Mold and mildew are less likely to be present on a regularly cleaned surface.
- Money-Saving: There’s no need to call the plumber if nothing is wrong.
PlumbCrazy proudly serves Abington, MD, and the surrounding areas. They offer excellent customer service, and emergency plumbing is available. Call today for plumbing solutions!